[Server-devel] physical security issue

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Oct 7 22:47:54 EDT 2008

As if discussions on this list aren't lively enough, here's another
issue to look at.

While I was in Jamaica, I met with several people who work with their
school districts, and many pointed out that if a server was to stay
physically resident at the school, it will need a lot of physical
security. The most common problem is theft. The other problem will be
physical damage (just because somebody can). It is not uncommon in
some of these

If the school server is hosted at an ISP upstream, we need something
small (maybe an XO?) at the school that can VLAN or VPN over to the
school server at the ISP/Data Center.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Sameer