[Server-devel] [ejabberd] Memory use with SSL connections

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 7 19:23:45 EDT 2008

This thread on the ejabberd list has detached itself from
server-devel, so for the record I'll point to a couple of interesting
messages:

In http://lists.jabber.ru/pipermail/ejabberd/2008-October/004316.html,
Evgeniy Khramtsov of ProcessOne writes:

> Douglas Bagnall wrote:
>
>> Does ejabberd use a wide range of OpenSSL's functionality
>>
> No, it doesn't. It uses only encryption functions and certificate checks.
>
>> or might
>> one of the light libraries with flakey standards coverage (e.g.,
>> yassl) work well enough?
>>
> OpenSSL has a very important benefit: it doesn't require socket descriptors
> to be passed to it's API functions. Other libraries (gnutls, yassl) need
> sockets to be passed to their functions (furthermore, sockets must be in
> blocking mode!!), but this is not acceptable in Erlang of course. At least I
> didn't see alternative libraries without this restriction.

and in http://lists.jabber.ru/pipermail/ejabberd/2008-October/004317.html,
Jonathan Schleifer suggests an alternative:

> xyssl doesn't need a socket passed either IIRC and needs less memory
> than OpenSSL.

Unfortunately, https://xyssl.com has disappeared so information about
it is hard to find.

Douglas