[Server-devel] DanGuardian and XS Plans

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:06:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:17 AM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>    In existing deployments (not trials) content filtering
> is being done upstream in the internet connection.

Interesting! I didn't know that -

> Content filtering is a very sensitive subject, and any
> offering made by OLPC should make it VERY CLEAR
> that the country is responsible for the filtering -- both
> the initial setup and maintaining the filter.

Yup. And also very clear that we believe that filters are quite leaky
-- meaning that they will have problems with it, and a plan / process
to deal with it. Some local teams may find planning for such
situations hard.

> Squid has been supported since build 161, long before
> Martin started wholesale improvements.    Easier to install ?
> Right now you have to type one command line:
> /etc/sysconfig/olcp-scripts/TURN_SQUID_ON
> to permanently enable Squid.   This was done simply
> because not all installation will want it.

Yep - TURN_SQUID_ON works well on the current xs-0.5 dev version.
However, I'm not very happy with it due to memory footprint, and
considering replacing it with a apache + mod_cache_disk which - from
what I've seen - plays to the strengths of linux's disk i/o handling.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com