[Server-devel] DanGuardian and XS Plans

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:44:50 EDT 2008

Hello List

Just from my (not too recent) experience with the Birmingham deployment:
There are two competing interests:
- As long as the Board of Education (BoE) receives federal funds under the No Child Left Behind Act they are responsible for providing internet only in a filtered manner (certified, lots of signatures and red tape ...). The Birmingham BoE is *very* broke so they rely on these funds. Effectively this means upstream filtering in the BoE's IT department's realm (this also helps them - gets abused for - demands for additional funding).
- To provide a cost effective solution (without lots of additional funding for overhead / BoE infrastructure) the XS could provide a filtering solution of its own and thus provide a daring principal with a way of providing parallel infrastructure just for XO/XS purposes.

This means as long as the BoE does not agree to a two tiered IT infrastructure (which they in my opinion can't), DansGuardian is not needed. Yet it might be helpfull in increasing acceptance for olpc products in a less messed up environment.

In previous discussions I understood that olpc did not want get in a place where it could be held responsible for content filtering (with no resources and mandate to manage the servers remotely a very understandable stand).  I do think though that olpc can only provide the tools currently available and should not worry too much about whether local admins put them to good use.
(And I personally favour Brasil's teachers union's stand to turn filtering off. Life filtered is not life. Encounter the problems, use them for contents of lessons, and get on with reality.)

just my 2cts (and keep up the great work!)
Stefan

Btw: I just relocated  from Alabama to Germany for job reasons and have no personal stakes in the Birmingham deployment (nor any other deployments for that matter).