[Server-devel] DanGuardian and XS Plans

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Oct 6 11:17:42 EDT 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Hi Bryan, Martin et al,
>
> Good input on content filtering, thanks.

Greg,
    In existing deployments (not trials) content filtering
is being done upstream in the internet connection.

Content filtering is a very sensitive subject, and any
offering made by OLPC should make it VERY CLEAR
that the country is responsible for the filtering -- both
the initial setup and maintaining the filter.

I'm very worried that a deployment would just "turn on"
DansGuardian without making sure that the filtering met
local requirements, if it is provided in the build.
Installing DansGuardian onto XS-0.4 shouldn't be difficult.
As mentioned before, the difficult part is configuring the filter.

Squid has been supported since build 161, long before
Martin started wholesale improvements.    Easier to install ?
Right now you have to type one command line:
/etc/sysconfig/olcp-scripts/TURN_SQUID_ON
to permanently enable Squid.   This was done simply
because not all installation will want it.

Cheers,
wad