[Server-devel] Installing zero point 5

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Sat Nov 29 05:46:10 EST 2008

Hello.

I just wrote a long email about trying to install 0.5 reliably and
reproducibly, but I decided not to send it, but to just ask if other people
could share their experience.

I am in the field in the Pacific Islands (PNG at the moment), trying to
update to the latest XYZ on the fly, often with only 9kbps Internet access
and power on only 3 hours in evenings, perhaps I should be more cautious but
I am driven by my enthusiasm for the potential of this project.

Some issues/info:

.         Reinstalling with reproducible results - difficult. However, I can
use identical process and disks, etc, with 0.4 image and get reproducible
results.

.         On one "reinstall", it all went OK but no sign of the
"olpc-scripts" folder when I tried to configure it. Nothing there in the
/etc/sysconfig folder.

.         On another, all OK but the active antenna was not working,
although first time I tried to install it - it was fine. The reason I tried
to reinstall it, was that after a while, I had problems with the two XOs not
showing up on the neighbourhood view, even though they were registered and
could be seen in the eJabberd control panel, and could be pinged from each
other. Video Chat worked fine for a while then started saying "telepathy
error". Tried to reinstall and was not able to repeat the process. When I
did - no connectivity via the USB active antenna.

.         Same hardware, same process, different menus, different results.

Maybe it is the "ID ten T problem"

David Leeming

Solomon Islands, South Pacific