[Server-devel] Installing zero point 5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 07:47:03 EST 2008

2008/11/29 David Leeming <leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb>:
> I just wrote a long email about trying to install 0.5 reliably and
> reproducibly, but I decided not to send it, but to just ask if other people
> could share their experience.

That is very strange. The only "reliability" issue I have seen is that
-- when using USB disks instead of a CD/DVD, the installer (anaconda)
sometimes crashes.

This happens 100% of the time if I use the graphical anaconda purely
via keyboard. If I use the text mode installer, then the failure is
very rare.

Ideas:

 - make sure you run the install with the 'kickstart' option from the
startup menu

 - check that at the end of the installation you get a dialog that
says "installation complete" -- that indicates that anaconda finished
correctly. If the machine restarts on its own, the install has failed.

 - check the md5sum of the iso you've downloaded to make sure it's not corrupted
   http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/checksums.md5

I'm very happy that you're trying 0.5 even in cmplex conditions. Don't
stop -- and keep telling us about things that work, and things that
don't.

> On one "reinstall", it all went OK but no sign of the
> "olpc-scripts" folder when I tried to configure it. Nothing there in the
> /etc/sysconfig folder.

That could be explained by either an incomplete install, or not using
the kickstart option...

> ·         On another, all OK but the active antenna was not working,
> although first time I tried to install it – it was fine. The reason I tried

Same.

> Maybe it is the "ID ten T problem"

Don't think so ;-) -- we do have some annoying anaconda bugs lurking,
specially when installing from usb. The Fedora folks suggest that it's
fixed in F10 but I haven't tried yet.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com