[Server-devel] Datastore & backup - request for help

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed May 21 23:08:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> Michail is choosing a method, which will be used by NM and should be
> used by other laptop tasks as well.  It will almost certainly not be SSID
> based.

Cool. I'll keep my ears open - Michail, I assume you'll ping me when
that's defined?

> However, I have to question what is going on here ?
> Why do I have to be on the school mesh to backup ?

That is a good point. I am trying to be conservative and only call the
backup machinery if we are likely to see the XS _and_ have a decent
connection to it.

Thinking a bit more - if we are seeing the XS over a few hops, maybe
we shouldn't try to backup.

> If you can contact the backup server specified in
> /home/olpc/.sugar/default/config, and it's host key
> hasn't changed, you should backup.   Right ?

Host key is a reasonable safety catch. As long as the XS is not
running crazy patched Debian SSH :-/

> This might be the school server, or it might be a different
> server ('cause Moodle is hogging all the resources on
> the primary school server :-)

...mmm! how about raising the specs for the xs then? ;-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com