[Server-devel] Datastore & backup - request for help

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed May 21 23:43:36 EDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 11:08 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

>> This might be the school server, or it might be a different
>> server ('cause Moodle is hogging all the resources on
>> the primary school server :-)
>
> ...mmm! how about raising the specs for the xs then? ;-)

That question was asked at the school server presentation
today, by someone from Teaching Matters (IIRC) who knew
of you.   They commented that 1GB seemed very low for 100
students where Moodle was involved.   When I replied that
the situation was actually worse than that, as 512 MB was
already accounted for between HTTP cache, web server,
and OS, they suggested that 25 students could be supported
by the suggested configuration.

I pointed out that you were on the case, and they were mollified.
Still, we need to be very clear about expectations.   We don't
expect that a large percentage of a school will be using Moodle
at one time, but can you clarify what numbers you expect to support
reasonably (simultaneous users, not school size) for 512MB, 1.5GB,
and 3.5GB of memory available to Moodle processes ?

Out of curiosity, what is the testing procedure for this ?

Thanks,
wad