[Server-devel] Datastore & backup - request for help

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed May 21 22:45:31 EDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> No idea.
>> No worries, I cannibalised a bit of bash script from olpc-netstatus
>> that works well for school networks using an active antenna. I'll
>> have
>> to see how I make it detect school nets based on APs, but that's
>> something I'll sort out w Wad.
>
> Wad,
>
> what I am trying to sort out is the following. With the deployments
> that have APs instead of AAs, how do we tell school APs from any
> random AP out there? Have we / should we define some properties that
> allow the XO to spot it (and associate preferentially to it, for
> example)?
>
> I guess it touches a few places around NM too... maybe there's been
> some hacking on this already?

Michail is choosing a method, which will be used by NM and should be
used by other laptop tasks as well.  It will almost certainly not be
SSID based.

However, I have to question what is going on here ?
Why do I have to be on the school mesh to backup ?
If you can contact the backup server specified in
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/config, and it's host key
hasn't changed, you should backup.   Right ?

This might be the school server, or it might be a different
server ('cause Moodle is hogging all the resources on
the primary school server :-)

Cheers,
wad

wad