[Server-devel] Database on server

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Mar 20 15:10:16 EDT 2008

John Watlington wrote:
> Smells like a religious war to me.
>
> You are correct that postgres is in the build, but nothing
> currently requires it.   The idmgr package is using sqlite instead.
>
> Martin can either make this call or lead further discussion.
>
> John
>
> On Mar 20, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Carol Lerche wrote:
>

>> I notice that the pre-installed database for the xs build is
>> PostGres.  Now I have nothing against PostGres.  It is a fine
>> database, and was a "real" (ACID) database from the start, unlike
>> MySQL.  I certainly advocated that it be used in preference to
>> MySQL for de novo projects at clients in the past.  But from the
>> standpoint of making a choice that enables the most other open
>> source software to be installed and to run without difficulty, I
>> believe MySQL would be a better choice today, especially since its
>> former deficiencies have largely been rectified.  In summary this
>> is a recommendation based on a desire to lower the development
>> costs of reusing software, not a theoretical determination of which
>> database is "better".
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Carol Lerche

I don't intend to hijack this thread, but the determination of software
packages should really come from the "need" (demand) side of the
equation. I strongly think that instead of picking favorites (we have a
LOT in the pool to pick from:-)) we should establish the need first.

Use case -> Need -> Applications -> Packages

So, in Carol's case (hypothetical example): Carol's case -> Blogging ->
Drupal -> Apache, MySQL, PHP

After all, even if the DB of choice was MySQL, nothing's stopping me
from installing PG on it! Also keep in mind that while there will be
significant overlap across different use cases, but I doubt it if we can
get away with a single XS build combination.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University