[Server-devel] easy backup solution for Linux? (Aaron Huslage)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:33:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:17 AM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>  > In the long term, there appears to be concern that the existing
>  > administration interfaces for servers are not sufficient for our
>  > needs.
>  > I personally not worked w/ webmin or the admin interface for Centos
>  > SME
>  > Server so I cannot comment from experience.
>
>  I've worked with Webmin, and the user experience is tolerable.
>  Our security architect (Ivan) had less than noble things to say about
>  it's implementation, dissuading us from using it.

Here I am with Ivan - Webmin is the spawn of the devil ;-) - but
beyond that, I've seen quite a few web admin UIs, and though some are
good, none are what we are after IMHO. A custom web-based admin UI
might be something we have to write custom for the XS (*rolls up
sleeves*). I am hope we can discuss and sketch some plans for this in
the coming days...

>  I've slowly added scripts automating most of the configuration for
>  small systems.   We are really close to providing a file either on
>  disk or on USB which configures the system  --- it is a trivial
>  programming
>  task once the user experience and configuration info have been
>  agreed upon.

Cool - I'll be looking into those...

>  Larger systems (NYC, Birmingham) are a different
>  story, as their network configuration is radically different.  We will
>  probably fork builds to handle their case, or move to just supporting
>  service packages.

Can we encapsulate local config in a "local" rpm package with fancy
post-inst scripts?

cheers,

martin