[Server-devel] easy backup solution for Linux? (Aaron Huslage)

Aaron Huslage huslage at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 01:36:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:17 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> rPath is certainly tempting, but it locks our customers into a
> proprietary set of tools for maintaining their servers.  FOSS is one
> of the cornerstones of OLPC...

I guess what I was suggesting was a discussion with the executives at rPath
to see what the options were. Conary (their packaging system) is certainly
FOSS and they may be willing to work on other FOSS things that could help
out in areas of concern.

> Larger systems (NYC, Birmingham) are a different
> story, as their network configuration is radically different.  We will
> probably fork builds to handle their case, or move to just supporting
> service packages.

This certainly sounds good for a v1 product. Maybe going forward, the team
will have the resources to broaden scope a bit. Just my 2 cents.

--
Aaron Huslage - 503.860.1634
http://blog.hact.net
huslage at gmail.com