[Server-devel] easy backup solution for Linux?

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 01:37:59 EDT 2008

We can definitely use the same distro
On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 20:33 -0700, Aaron Huslage wrote:

> Just because you don't need Squid or Dansguardian does not necessarily
> mean that you can't use the same distro. In fact, it isn't really a
> driving factor.

We are happy to use the same distro, we are currently using XS build
XS-150 and plan to upgrade to 160. We will just have to make some
customizations to the services such as Squid and Dansguardian, which
shouldn't be hard.

> I disagree with this on one fundamental thing. We can create a Linux
> distro that can run on just about any hardware that is remotely
> standard. This has been done many times. The issue then becomes size
> of distro vs. benefit to keeping "cruft" in it.

Wad is right, the economics of custom server hardware are prohibitive.
The XS should run on most any hardware that's available.

> Have you used these in your current testing? What are your results so
> far? What would help beyond an organizational decision in getting your
> backup solution in place?

We are using Mondo Backup now and it is quite nice. I have tested the
restore feature only in a virtual machine and not on our live hardware
because we are using it heavily to test the XO's that just arrived.

Keep the discussion going, there is a lot of work to do on the XS and I
really hope we can have a teleconference next week to set a roadmap for
the XS.