[Server-devel] easy backup solution for Linux?

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Wed Mar 19 00:27:08 EDT 2008

2008/3/18 Aaron Huslage <huslage at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
>

> > "One-size" does not fit all when it comes to the XS, in my opinion.
>

> Just because you don't need Squid or Dansguardian does not necessarily
> mean that you can't use the same distro. In fact, it isn't really a driving
> factor.

+1

> Also, different countries will use different hardware. In Nepal, it is
> > difficult for us to order a particular brand of server and configuration
> > due to customs issues. We would love to use a custom hardware solution
> > like the one Wad has in mind, however we can't use it until it is ready
> > *and* falls into our price range, including customs duties.
>

> I disagree with this on one fundamental thing. We can create a Linux
> distro that can run on just about any hardware that is remotely standard.
> This has been done many times. The issue then becomes size of distro vs.
> benefit to keeping "cruft" in it.
>
> Custom hardware would obviously only be useful if it was a benefit to
> those who would buy it. I imagine that discussion is ongoing within the
> organization, but I'm a noob and don't know how this place works yet ;)

Nice to have you, noob :)  A general distro is a good thing.  We already
have schools running XS images on a variety of hardware.  (though Bryan, I'm
not sure why you see XS hardware as a 'custom platform' requiring investment
of time and energy.)

--SJ

ps @ Bryan : Martin just arrived in Cambridge this afternoon...