[Server-devel] Drupal on OLPC?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:57:30 EDT 2008

Stefan Reitz wrote:
> Hello fellow travellers,
>
> I am not really familiar with Drupal, I used to think of it as a kind
> of precursor to Joomla (a bit like mambo). Drupal adepts may get angry
> with me here.
Not getting angry :-) but precursor is not the right term. Drupal is
alive and well and is quite active. Some very visible sites use it.
[http://buytaert.net/tag/drupal-sites]

Joomla and Mambo (Joomla forked from Mambo, and now the two are
significantly different) are fine CMS environments as well.
> I have set up several sites with Joomla, and keep getting amazed by
> its community support and availability (lots !!) of contributions /
> "plug-ins".
> If you consider putting a Content Management System on the XS (and
> Moodle has lots of the touch and feel of Joomla and really is a
> specialized flavour of a CMS), you would also want to have a look at
> Joomla.
> Joomal is largely php based, and once you have gotten a grip on CSS
> (you don't have to - you can run with lots of free templates), there
> is virtually no limit to the appearance of your site.

Moodle has blog functionality in the core install. It used to be called
Journal way back, but its now replaced by blogs. I've used the "Journal"
feature in my classes before, and it serves the blogging purpose well.

Why have yet another CMS even if the stack is the same (LAMP)?

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University