[Server-devel] Wikiserver on XS

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Jun 30 12:06:51 EDT 2008

Hi,

   > I tried setting up a Wiktionary server on a shared server that our
   > pilots have access to and it was a major pain in the ass. After 3
   > days I couldn't get it to work. I had a lot of trouble downloading
   > and importing the images, perhaps Chris Ball's wikislices gets this
   > right. I will have to look at the code and ask him.

Oh, you mean using the wikislice technology to build a snapshot of the
dictionary data from wiktionary, rather than the wikipedia data?  That's
an interesting idea.

   > The wikislices are alright but they don't allow for searching for
   > content which I think is an essential feature.

Yes, they do; when you run the Wikipedia activity, there's a search
toolbar that searches against the local index.  (You might be confusing
the Wikipedia activity with some hand-made Wikislice HTML content
bundles that SJ made quite a while ago.)

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>