[Server-devel] hardware for servers

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Jun 28 15:48:45 EDT 2008

In a recent thread Martin L mentioned the possibility of looking at
platforms for XS that run headless. That got me thinking about soekris
boards. Although usually targeted towards routers, soekris boards are
quite well tested in the field under extreme conditions. I've used
Soekris for Wi-Fi routers, Asterisk, etc.

Has anyone considered looking into that platform? The latest board has
433 to 500 Mhz Geode LX , four 10/100 Mbit ethernet ports, up to 1 Gbyte
DDR-SDRAM main memory and uses a CompactFlash module for program and
data storage. It can be expanded using a MiniPCI type III board, a hard
drive and one or two low-power standard PCI boards.

More info on Soekris at http://www.soekris.com/

cheers,
Sameer

--