[Server-devel] Target price and quantitiy

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:17:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Christopher Niemöller
<nfinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whats the typical power source for the server? 12V DC or 24V DC or
> 110V AC or 230V AC?

All of them - some locations will have 110VAC/230VAC but some regions
have no power grid. In all cases, power is prone to brownouts and
spikes. We'd like to be able to offer solar panel + battery packs,
connectors for car batteries / alternators and similar setups for
schools with no electricity.

> What are the other conditions like temperature and humidity? Would it
> be enough if the server is capable of operating between 0°-55°C and
> 0-90% humidity?

 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Server_Specification has some notes on
environmental conditions. The style in that page is confusing - there
is a mix of what we would aim to provide if we were manufacturing a
server, and what to look for in an OTS system.

> Which outlets are really needed (w/ switch)?
> I guess something like:
> -4x Ethernet (over the switch)
> -4x USB2.0
> -1x Power

The server itself needs 2 ethernet ports (lan, wan) and 4-6 USB
connectors. For very small schools, Active Antennas (usb connected)
can be used, though we are still sorting out some issues with them.
For medium to large schools, the lan port hooks up to a switch+AP that
has 4 ports or more.

> Is something like a vga, p/s2, rs232, ... needed?

It is meant to be headless - a least a serial port is required for
installation support. If VGA can be had at low cost, probably
countries will go for it.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com