[Server-devel] Ultra Mobile XO Server

s.boutayeb at free.fr s.boutayeb at free.fr
Mon Jun 23 02:23:38 EDT 2008

Hi John,

Thank you for your comments. The helped me to formalize further the analyse of
the usage cases and the options to be considered. Glad to see that there is a
need for this experiment. We want to offer an option in the deployments where
the energy and the cost are impeding factors for the schools.
Our first step is to analyse the situation and to benefit from your experience
and your caveats. Second, to receive XOs for our project (we are waiting
approval for it via the developers program).

We could have 2 options:
a/ a dedicated XO based XS server, to be used during classtime, serving
eventually a few (< 40-50) XOs, for example in a class) as well as the teachers
monitoring XO.

b/ a multipurpose XO with an alternate boot options, to be used by the teachers:
- with the kids, during classtime, for monitoring purposes,
- outside of the class, in order to prepare/evaluate the class activities.

In case a, booting from an external storage may be an option, especially if
additional storage is needed. The installation of the XS on the internal disk is
another option, eventually with additional storage for the user data.

In case b, the multibooting function will make the XO a versatile machine.

Bests,

Samy