[Server-devel] Ultra Mobile XO Server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 10:03:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM,  <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> We could have 2 options:
> a/ a dedicated XO based XS server, to be used during classtime, serving
> eventually a few (< 40-50) XOs, for example in a class) as well as the teachers
> monitoring XO.

Hi Samy!

Excellent project! I think this ("a") is the most viable option. What
we mainly need at the moment is work in fixing any bugs in the LiveCD
install we have that are preventing installation on an XO, and
ensuring we can support an external HD for storage easily. There is
also work to be done in shrinking the memory footprint of the current
XS software, and we can work together on that.

The XS software should be the same regardless of HW. With a bit of
tuning (and perhaps alternative config files) the software can
definitely run on an XO.

And once we have achieved that goal, you might want to tackle the
multi-boot option, but the XO does not have enough storage to handle
the XS role, and much less a multi-boot XO/XS.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com