[Server-devel] EduBlog Revised Project Plan

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Mon Jun 9 10:12:12 EDT 2008

Hi Tarun et al,

Great work! Thanks for scoping and laying out the pieces.

A few comments:

1 - Just to be safe, double the times and see if it still fits.

2 - I don't like the risk in the "group edit and teacher review"
section. Let me know what info you need to keep it at 1 week or less.
For starters, there's no group edit needed. They can share "browse" if
they want to edit concurrently. I was thinking of just "post" or "start
over" as the first pass.

3 - I need the UI done first (static is OK). Start with plain text and
an image button. No formatting, no video, just flush out the work flow
(e.g. create post, click OK, see preview in HTML, click OK again and it
goes to teacher queue). Do it in basic HTML to avoid "sugarizing". Let's
get something to show and we'll see what people ask for next. I know we
want to reduce the risk by doing the other parts but I need to confirm
the customer demand. I see the simple front end as the main value of
project and we will need a minimum of 4 rounds of review to get it
right.

Any UI/Web page designers out there who want to help?

4 - I can live with Moodle as the base. My only hesitation is still on
config of Moodle. I know people can learn to use/config moodle, but I
don't want to force them to do that. It should be easy for any teacher
with no sys admin help or even e-mail access to take a default XS with
EduBlog installed and starting posting blogs. That is, install then hit
EduBlog URL and that's it. Do a full Moodle config later if you want.
Let me know if that's possible (can be phase 2).

5 - Leave auth to the end unless there is some trivial way to start.
Short term, we only plan to share this app off the hosted site. That's
the goal for August delivery and Auth will change a lot after EduBlog is
hosted in school.

6 - Put in time for Debian version and XS + Fedora version. I hope I can
get someone else to help package if you can create the core code.

Video is important, e.g. this site is all video:
http://www.sextosdela37.blogspot.com/

If we allow linking to video posted on Internet instead of upload from
XO, does that help?

BTW even if it's a "must" requirement you don't have to do it. Just get
consensus its not possible in the time allotted. Then I have to reduce
the forecast :-( Just comment on which requirements you can meet and
which you can't and we'll go from there, no need to change the demand
level of the requirement.

We're on the right track! Don't let the project management overhead get
in your way. Do whatever you think is right to be productive. If there
is a decision that is blocking you let me know and we'll make a call one
way or the other.

On customer side, I got some more feedback from Uruguay lead. My
impression is that when the Ceibal education committee says its
important Latu will install it. If we get a bunch of teachers clamoring
for this app then we should be OK.

So the focus through August is proof of concept on the hosted XS.
Install in Uruguay schools will come later. Nonetheless I want to
architect the app to run on Debian and Fedora XS so we are ready.

In the mean time, its still hard to get technical details on Uruguay XS
with Debian.

Does anyone at OLPC have the Uruguay XS config?

Let me know who has the info and if you need approval from Latu to share
it I can open a thread to get that.

HTHs. Comments and input most welcome. One more round and I'll copy it
to project page.

Thanks,

Greg S