[Server-devel] Installing Fedora 7 on V3-M2A690G

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 19:00:27 EDT 2008

2008/6/7 Tony Pearson <tpearson at us.ibm.com>:
> I was able to get Fedora 7 on the V3-M2A690G (M2A-VM) hardware build using
> the i386-Instal-DVD.  I set the BIOS=AHCI mode,
> and the Fedora installer correctly noticed this and added the appropriate
> AHCI drivers.

Ok. so the problem is with our custom kernel, right? What kernel are
you booting with (uname -a)?

> The PostgreSQL was not part of the standard Fedora install, so I used yum to

Ah, you found a good backport for F7.

> So, I think the hardware platform fits both purposes (Fedora 7 and Debian),
> but making this into a dual
> boot configuration will be complicated, given that Apache, PHP and
> PostgreSQL are different levels on
> each.  It is possible that the release levels are compatible enough that it
> doesn't matter, and it might
> be possible to find specific levels of each to install under both Fedora 7
> and Debian.  Perhaps work
> with Tarun to see if he needs specific features or capabilities of anything
> in particular.

If the machine can be set to run the kvm-based virtualisation, you can
run both F7 and Debian in separate VMs, providing both environments to
Tarun.

Or to make it easier you could run a Debian LAMP stack in a Debian
chroot (see if you can find a howto for debootstrap on Fedora).

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com