[Server-devel] Installing Fedora 7 on V3-M2A690G

Tony Pearson tpearson at us.ibm.com
Sat Jun 7 20:08:24 EDT 2008

Greg,
I was able to get Fedora 7 on the V3-M2A690G (M2A-VM) hardware build using
the i386-Instal-DVD.  I set the BIOS=AHCI mode,
and the Fedora installer correctly noticed this and added the appropriate
AHCI drivers.

The install used LVM, so my setup is:

/dev/sda1   --     /boot
/dev/sda5    --    LVM2  (contains / and swap)

I able able to get Apache, PHP, and PostgreSQL up and running.  The levels
are different than the
ones from Debian:

Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.2.2
PostgreSQL 8.2.7

The PostgreSQL was not part of the standard Fedora install, so I used yum
to install and confirm as follows
(which I modified from this version here:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/linux/install_postgresql.htm)

yum -y install postgresql postgresql-server php-pgsql
#  /sbin/chkconfig   postgresql  on
#  /sbin/service   postgresql   initdb
#  /sbin/service   postgresql   start
#  su - postgres
$  psql     template1
psql#   create user web_user;
psql#   create database web_db owner web_user;
psql$  \q
$  vi    /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg-hba.conf
(changed line   "local  all all ident sameuser" to "local all all trust")
$ exit
#  /sbin/service   postgresql   restart
# psql  -U web_user  web_db
web_db ==>

So, I think the hardware platform fits both purposes (Fedora 7 and
Debian), but making this into a dual
boot configuration will be complicated, given that Apache, PHP and
PostgreSQL are different levels on
each.  It is possible that the release levels are compatible enough that
it doesn't matter, and it might
be possible to find specific levels of each to install under both Fedora 7
and Debian.  Perhaps work
with Tarun to see if he needs specific features or capabilities of
anything in particular.

I can put a dual-boot system together, but it might mean that each stack
is completely different, boot
Fedora/Apache 2.2.4/PHP 5.2.2/PostgreSQL 8.2.7 seleting one choice, and
Debian/Apache2.2.3/PHP 5.2.0/PostgreSQL 7.4
with the second choice on a "grub" menu.  To pull this off, I envision
carving the lun as follows:

/dev/sda1   --- /boot   (Fedora)
/dev/sda2   --- /boot   (Debian)
/dev/sda5  ---  LVM2  (contains  /(Fedora)  /(Debian)  swap  /common)

you could have several "/common" directories such as /var/www/html for
your GUI, and these would
be shared whether you boot Fedora or Debian.

Next steps:
It appears that combining LVM2 and RAID-1 might not be as difficult as I
thought.  Here are tutorials
for how to do this for Fedora and Debian.

http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up-lvm-on-top-of-software-raid1-rhel-fedora

http://www.howtoforge.com/set-up-raid1-on-a-running-lvm-system-debian-etch

In this mode:

/dev/md0  --- would be /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 (Fedora /boot)
/dev/md1  -- would be /dev/sda2  and /dev/sdb2  (Debian /boot)
/dev/md2 -- would be /dev/sda5 and /dev/sdb5   (Shared LVM2)

It appears that both Fedora and Debian support "dmraid" driver.

-- Tony