[Server-devel] Problems installing XS on new system for Uruguay

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Thu Jun 5 14:21:29 EDT 2008

Hi Martin et al,

Yes Tony is building an XS for use on the EduBlog project. We're loosely
coupled to Ceibal. Pablo Flores is the main interface and he is a lead
in the Ceibal team coordinating internation volunteers and Ceibal web
sites. He helped write and approve the requirements and he has assured
us that he has the teachers ready to test use the application.

We also have a handful of Uruguayan teachers, RapCeibal leads, other
technical people and programmers in a Google group. Our relationship
with Latu could be tighter but Pablo is the gateway to them too for now.

I'm open to other suggestions on people we should contact to improve
coordination.

Here's my thinking on test bed and development server architecture.

Tarun's server is for early prototyping and working out issues. No need
for XS image on Tarun's box but it has PHP, Apache and a SQL DB minimum.
Hopefully we can install Moodle remotely at some point.

Tony's will be much closer to a full blown XS. It wont be a school
gateway, cache, jabber, wireless or filtering box. Its mainly a web
server but it should include Moodle and everything else needed for
EduBlog.

My current list of SW is:
Fedora 7
XS image
Moodle
PostGreSQL
Apache
PHP

Am I missing anything?

Comments and suggestions welcome. First target customer is Uruguay so
let me know if you see any relevant differences between this environment
and theirs.

Tony's is a development server but will also be a pre-production box. We
will run the beta test off it and test the install process there too. It
has more high BW and low latency from Uruguay.

Both are on the Internet so I hope the XS is secure... We will find out.

All built with volunteer HW, hosting, BW, and sysadmins. Thanks a lot to
the team!

BTW almost everyone is bi-lingual Spanish/English so everyone is free to
post in Spanish if that's faster and we'll translate if needed.

Thanks,

Greg S

PS I hope we're not flooding the list. I warned you it would be active
but if its too much we can slow it down.

Now - one point I'd like to understand better - when you say "for
uruguay" you don't mean the Ceibal team, right? (From OLPC perspective,
if you talk about schoolservers in Uruguay, the Ceibal team is what I
think of...). You are doing this for the Edublog Uruguay team... yes?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com