[Server-devel] Upgrade server on the XS -

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:57:52 EDT 2008

Hi Scott,

I'm looking at the 'upgrade-server' project, considering packaging it
for the XS. After a read of the sources, I see that it does extend the
rsync protocol a bit, but the commands seem to not be needed for
updates: server is an rsync cmd, but clean and install are not, but I
don't expect valid clients issuing clean or install cmds.

On the XS installs in the field, it makes sense for the upgrade-server
code to just serve from images in a directory -- deploying new
versions to that directory is under the control of the NOC mgmt
scripts and might happen overnight, or be delivered on a USB stick. So
what I am wondering is

 - Can we just use rsync over an unpacked jffs2 image? If yes, what
are the path conventions?

 - If there is some other protocol extension I haven't spotted that is
needed, how can we disable the "on demand fetch"?

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com