[Server-devel] Packaging the activation server for the XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:09:57 EDT 2008

Hi Scott,

I am exploring what it will take to package the action lease server
for the XS, and what usage scenarios we can support. So I had an
initial look around act-server, which covers a much wider
functionality than I had in mind.

If we assume for a moment that the lease "management" is done
elsewhere, and that the XS has either a local private key that can
sign leases locally or dole out pre-signed keys (fed to it via a usb
drive), where can I find the scripts perform the handshake with the XO
clients (I am assuming there are 2 - firmware-based and linux-based)?

Can the current firmware on the XO accept leases signed with a local
"delegated" key that is 2 steps removed from the OLPC key?

For the time being, I plan on punting on the harder issues around
network encryption we discussed earlier. Once the network-based lease
server is in place, we can explore a fallback scheme involving
teachers and usb keys for the machines that have soft-bricked
themselves via active or passive kill.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com