[Server-devel] EduBlog: Requesting input on design of Preview and Remote Blog Admin Pages

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 11:40:38 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM, Tarun Pondicherry
<tarunpondicherry at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the preview feature, is it better to do it all on the client side
> (clicking preview brings up a Browse compatible popup with the post) or push
> the blog out to the ou blog db but set the permissions so that only the
> creator can see it?  (May only be possible for internal and some external
> sites).  The first is easier to implement and we can also use a custom
> stylesheet to mimic the actual look on the blog site.  I think the first
> method (client side) is the way to go for this version.  What do you guys
> think?

I agree with you - it's also what mediawiki/wikipedia does.

> We also need to decide on the exact options to give users for the admin
> page.  Basically, the image storage is separated from the blog storage on
> most systems.  (Blogger uses Picassa, OU Blog uses Moodle file storage).  We
> can give users the options to set the image storage independently from the
> Blog storage.  We can also tie each blog to a default file storage system.
>  Which do you think is better?  I personally think the flexibility is
> better, but worry if it makes it too complicated for users.

Simple for the first release - I would say support images only on one
of the available services. Makes it also simpler for you, and gives a
chance for volunteers to help you with something well defined.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com