[Server-devel] EduBlog: Requesting input on design of Preview and Remote Blog Admin Pages

Tarun Pondicherry tarunpondicherry at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 00:15:23 EDT 2008

Hi Greg, Martin, Marcel,

With the preview feature, is it better to do it all on the client side
(clicking preview brings up a Browse compatible popup with the post) or
push the blog out to the ou blog db but set the permissions so that only
the creator can see it?  (May only be possible for internal and some
external sites).  The first is easier to implement and we can also use a
custom stylesheet to mimic the actual look on the blog site.  I think
the first method (client side) is the way to go for this version.  What
do you guys think?

We also need to decide on the exact options to give users for the admin
page.  Basically, the image storage is separated from the blog storage
on most systems.  (Blogger uses Picassa, OU Blog uses Moodle file
storage).  We can give users the options to set the image storage
independently from the Blog storage.  We can also tie each blog to a
default file storage system.  Which do you think is better?  I
personally think the flexibility is better, but worry if it makes it too
complicated for users.

So far, the tinyMCE theme is completed except for IE support
(http://olpc.betarun.com/dev/ui/student_sp.php) and I'll upload the OU
blog work once the server is online.  I still can't find a working patch
for getting tinyMCE into Moodle 1.9, so I stuffed it in there myself and
it seems to work.  I hope thats okay for now since Moodle 2.0 will have
the integration on tinyMCE taken care of.

Thanks,
Tarun