[Server-devel] Blog Integration && Forewarded Workflow Simplification

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:53:38 EST 2008

Solution Grove has also done an Elgg-Moodle integration

http://www.solutiongrove.com/blogger/one-entry?entry_id=806574
http://www.solutiongrove.com/blogger/2008/06/25/mapping-moodle-courses-to-elgg-communities-part-2

Are people thinking about Mahara?  That seems to be what is up and coming
according to my sources.

Caroline

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/12/17 Lucas Wojciehcowski <msa.swimmer at gmail.com>:
> > What do you think about the moodle Elgg integration? Is that too much
> "extra
> > baggage" for the OLPC project, or could it be a nice solution for blog
> > integration?
>
> I wrote most of the Elgg/Moodle integration a few years ago. It's
> hideous -- in part because Elgg internals are terrible.
>
> You don't have to worry, Moodle has 2 blogs available -- the built-in
> blog, and oublog. Search the archives of this list - oublog seems to
> be the best fit and once it's in plce, we can probably integrate the
> edublog work that's been done.
>
> > upstream without absolute support of the moodle developers.
>
> I _am_ part of the upstream team too ;-)
>
> > 2) I understand what you're saying. I think this code change will only
> > effect students.
>
> I really don't think so.
>
> > 3) Ok, I can make that little change, although I don't think it would
> throw
> > an error... PHP is soft typed... I don't think I tested it without a
> value
> > set.
>
> Enable warnings, leave it unset, and it *will* complain. Guaranteed :-)
>
> > I was thinking that I would be able to get the configuration file from
> the
> > users computer with the XO colors, and parse that file through
> javascript.
>
> Javascript can't read outside the sandbox so you can't get that data.
> One easy trick is to let the user pick the colours.
>
> Another possible fix is to steal it from the metadata that's part of
> the journal. Each kid's journal backup resides on the XS, and it seems
> to store some colours to remember what icon colours to show. It'd be a
> horrible and fragile way to guess.
>
> The "right" fix is to pass that data at registration time. We'l
> eventually do that, but it'll take a while :-(
>
> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions