[Server-devel] Blog Integration && Forewarded Workflow Simplification

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:10:50 EST 2008

2008/12/17 Lucas Wojciehcowski <msa.swimmer at gmail.com>:
> What do you think about the moodle Elgg integration? Is that too much "extra
> baggage" for the OLPC project, or could it be a nice solution for blog
> integration?

I wrote most of the Elgg/Moodle integration a few years ago. It's
hideous -- in part because Elgg internals are terrible.

You don't have to worry, Moodle has 2 blogs available -- the built-in
blog, and oublog. Search the archives of this list - oublog seems to
be the best fit and once it's in plce, we can probably integrate the
edublog work that's been done.

> upstream without absolute support of the moodle developers.

I _am_ part of the upstream team too ;-)

> 2) I understand what you're saying. I think this code change will only
> effect students.

I really don't think so.

> 3) Ok, I can make that little change, although I don't think it would throw
> an error... PHP is soft typed... I don't think I tested it without a value
> set.

Enable warnings, leave it unset, and it *will* complain. Guaranteed :-)

> I was thinking that I would be able to get the configuration file from the
> users computer with the XO colors, and parse that file through javascript.

Javascript can't read outside the sandbox so you can't get that data.
One easy trick is to let the user pick the colours.

Another possible fix is to steal it from the metadata that's part of
the journal. Each kid's journal backup resides on the XS, and it seems
to store some colours to remember what icon colours to show. It'd be a
horrible and fragile way to guess.

The "right" fix is to pass that data at registration time. We'l
eventually do that, but it'll take a while :-(

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com