[Server-devel] New xs-config and a 5.1-dev iso...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 12:31:56 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> In one experiment, I registered 2 XOs (XOA and XOB) to the XS and it created
> the moodle logins with links on the moodle login page.  For some reason, XOA
> was given student permissions and XOB was given course creator permissions.

That's by design, but undocumented/unpolished as yet. The first user
to login to moodle gets a special course-creator account and can
designate other users to also have the same role. The scenario works
as follows: If the XS is taken to a school with _no_ technical
expertise, perhaps by a technician that with limited skills, we can
establish a simple protocol: give the first XO to the teacher or
principal of the school, and go with him/her through registration and
first login to moodle.

So the first login ot moodle is "magic". And my intention is to extend
that role a bit so that it can do anything that might be needed. So we
don't really grant the "admin" role to anyone.

As a power user, you _can_ login to moodle as with the "admin" account
(and use it to screw things completely too!). The password is created
at install time, and saved in /etc/moodle

> Then, from XOA, I successfully clicked on the link to login to moodle as XOB
> and vice versa.  Is it intentional to make the moodle login on the "honor
> system?"

For now yes -- I'm working on 'magic sign on' from Browse.xo to Moodle
so the next release of the XO OS 9.1 can do it...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com