[Server-devel] Amateurish Workaround to Get Bonding to Work With eth1

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 10 11:37:02 EST 2008

Anna wrote:
> This is probably far from ideal, but it works for me and I'm putting it out
> there in case you're messing with XS 0.5 and need to have eth1 working now
> so you can test other stuff.  I'm sure there's a more elegant solution.
>
> Put this in /etc/rc.local
>
> ifenslave lanbond0 eth1

That's odd, the network init scripts should be doing that ifenslave
part, I think we're missing some small option in the ifcfg-eth1 file.

> Reboot.  And there we go:
>
> [root at alabamaxo ~]# ifconfig eth1
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:56:05:7C:DA
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:4348 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:5381 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:368480 (359.8 KiB)  TX bytes:6433735 (6.1 MiB)
>
> I've connected a few XOs to my test platform so far and haven't seen any
> unexpected issues.  I don't know if you have to edit
> /etc/modprobe.d/xs_bonding with Jerry's suggestion below, but I've got that
> in there.
>
> options lanbond0 mode=active-backup miimon=100
> options mshbond0 mode=active-backup miimon=100
> options mshbond1 mode=active-backup miimon=100
> options mshbond2 mode=active-backup miimon=100
>
> Of course, you can just run ifenslave lanbond0 eth1, but it doesn't persist
> on reboot.

Could you try adding HOTPLUG=yes to the ifcfg-eth1 file and disable your
rc.local routine and retest please. That is only difference that I can
spot between your non-working wired and working mesh lan.

Jerry