[Server-devel] Amateurish Workaround to Get Bonding to Work With eth1

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 20:38:02 EST 2008

This is probably far from ideal, but it works for me and I'm putting it out
there in case you're messing with XS 0.5 and need to have eth1 working now
so you can test other stuff.  I'm sure there's a more elegant solution.

Put this in /etc/rc.local

ifenslave lanbond0 eth1

Reboot.  And there we go:

[root at alabamaxo ~]# ifconfig eth1
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:56:05:7C:DA
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:368480 (359.8 KiB)  TX bytes:6433735 (6.1 MiB)

I've connected a few XOs to my test platform so far and haven't seen any
unexpected issues.  I don't know if you have to edit
/etc/modprobe.d/xs_bonding with Jerry's suggestion below, but I've got that
in there.

options lanbond0 mode=active-backup miimon=100
options mshbond0 mode=active-backup miimon=100
options mshbond1 mode=active-backup miimon=100
options mshbond2 mode=active-backup miimon=100

Of course, you can just run ifenslave lanbond0 eth1, but it doesn't persist
on reboot.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham