[Server-devel] Server Help

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:59:40 EDT 2008

Hi!

The server you have seems to be a good machine for the task. The
"School server" we provide is a custom Linux operating system, so it
will replace Windows on the machine completely.

However, at the moment installing it requires a bit of Linux expertise
(we are working on making this easier). If your needs are limited, you
might get by with just any machine acting as a router.

A few questions
 - How many XO laptops are you going to be serving?
 - What version of the OS do the laptops have?
 - Has the server got 2 network cards?
 - Have you got an Active Antenna (special antenna from OLPC) or a
standard Access Point?
 - Have you got internet access?
 - If you have an Access Point and internet access, can the AP act as a gateway?