[Server-devel] AP with fixed IP address

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:42:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM, David Leeming
<leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb> wrote:
> To clarify, I am talking about a minimal set up of a school server. Just

So you are working with a single school server.

 - Is there an ISP / WAN / Internet connection? That will have a fixed
IP addr you want to set on eth0

> I am then using a simple access point device like a D-Link 2100AP, set to
> get an IP address from a DHCP server, plugged in to the second network card.
> With this simple configuration, I have found that it then works without any
> more changes to any config files etc.

So far so goo.

> My question is, with a particular type of AP that I am required to use,
> which uses a fixed IP, what config changes do I need to make in the XS? The
> AP cannot be set to get an IP address from the XS.

The AP will self-assign an IP for administration, and that IP is in a
different range (often 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x). If that is your
problem, then what I tend to do is to take the AP and connect it to my
non-XO laptop via ethernet, and set my laptop's NIC temporarily to
have a static IP in the same range.

This is only needed to configure the AP for the first time - you can
probably set the AP to have an IP in the XS LAN subnet to make things
easier.

There might be a smarter way to do this by setting a static route on the XS too.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com