[Server-devel] AP with fixed IP address

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 20 20:54:01 EDT 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM, David Leeming
> <leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb> wrote:
>> To clarify, I am talking about a minimal set up of a school server. Just
>
> So you are working with a single school server.
>
>  - Is there an ISP / WAN / Internet connection? That will have a fixed
> IP addr you want to set on eth0
>
>> I am then using a simple access point device like a D-Link 2100AP, set to
>> get an IP address from a DHCP server, plugged in to the second network card.
>> With this simple configuration, I have found that it then works without any
>> more changes to any config files etc.
>
> So far so goo.
>
>> My question is, with a particular type of AP that I am required to use,
>> which uses a fixed IP, what config changes do I need to make in the XS? The
>> AP cannot be set to get an IP address from the XS.
>
> The AP will self-assign an IP for administration, and that IP is in a
> different range (often 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x). If that is your
> problem, then what I tend to do is to take the AP and connect it to my
> non-XO laptop via ethernet, and set my laptop's NIC temporarily to
> have a static IP in the same range.

You can add an ip alias/routing on the XS, by adding an ifcfg-eth1:2, to
match the AP's layout, just like the eth1:1 file does. You can use the
ifcfg-eth1:1 file as a template. When your editing the file rename the
device= line to be eth1:2 and edit the network info to match the AP.
Once done editing, save it as ifcfg-eth1:2, then do a:
/sbin/ifup eth1:2
Check your work with ping, should be good to go...

If you need help with that, more info would be needed, what does the AP
use for an ip address?

Jerry