[Server-devel] AP with fixed IP address

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 19 18:35:23 EDT 2008

David Leeming wrote:
> I am setting up a server using a outdoor access point from Rural Link
> (www.rurallink.co.nz) at our Patukae OLPC trial school site in Solomon
> Islands. It's a type that can't get an IP address from a DHCP server and on
> the LAN side needs to be fixed.
>

> Normally I have found, when setting up the XS, that if I attach a simple AP
> to a second NIC using eth1, with DHCP, there is no additional configuration
> required. It works by default.
>

> In the case of my Rural Link access point, I need to fix an IP address
> within the range given by the server - which presumably it also uses to
> allocate addresses to the XOs.
>

> Can anyone let me know how best to do this.
>

> David Leeming
>
> Technical Advisor, People First Network
>
> P.O. Box 652, Honiara, Solomon Islands, South Pacific

Edit the ifcfg-eth(?) file, for the interface that is connected to the
AP, that lives in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

BOOTPROTO='dhcp'

BOOTPROTO='none'
BROADCAST='10.3.0.255'  <--
IPADDR='10.3.0.10'        <-- adjust these to the xs layout
NETMASK='255.255.255.0' <--
NETWORK='10.3.0.0'  <--

The exact numbers above would depend on what else is set up on the box.
Could a get a better description of your intended layout, perhaps could
you post the output of "ip route ls" of your current layout.

Thanks,

Jerry