[Server-devel] AP with fixed IP address

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Wed Aug 20 06:24:07 EDT 2008

Hi Jerry,

I am just using the XS "out of the box". All settings are as default. My
question concerns the effect of fixing an IP address for the AP, which
should still work, but is there any possible effect on the XOs that will
connect to it, through IP address conflicts that might occur?

To give my context, I am involved in trial deployments in the Pacific
islands region, and although I am obviously not up to speed as you guys are
on the XS and network configuration for Linux systems, I need to know how to
have a reliable system with no nasty surprises as I will be the one that
discovers it in the middle of a teacher training session during an OLPC
trials deployment when things go weird!

I am trying to get this information before I head out in a couple of days
into a remote area of Solomon Islands where the said access point CPE device
awaits me, and if I don't have full information it could be a partly wasted
trip!

David Leeming
OLPC Coordinator, SPC and Technical Advisor, People First Network
Honiara, Solomon Islands