[Server-devel] Setting up an XS with an AP

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:02:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:08 AM, David Leeming
<leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb> wrote:
> I am now in Nauru (very small central Pacific country) starting up a single
> class trial here.

Fantastic!

> They have provided a machine to be used as the XS for the
> pilot. They have no active antenna (AA) so we are using two network cards
> and a D-Link DWL 2100 AP.

Makes sense. How many XOs are you planning to support with that?

> I installed the XS software and configured it for a small school server,
> adding the shared roster "online" etc, and it works fine when tested using
> my own prototype AA.

Good so far.

> However, I am having problems getting it work with the AP on eth1 – can
> anyone advise please. This is how I tried to set it up:
>
> ·         /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

Couple of questions

 - did you set that configuration yourself? Or is that what the
network_config script did?
 - how many network cards does the server have? (tip: should be 2!)
 - did you add/remove network cards after the initial install?

> D-Link settings:
>
> ·         Mode = Access point
>
> ·         DHCP server off
>
> ·         Gets IP from DHCP server

So far good.

> ·         ESSID – not sure what to do with that so I tried "school-mesh-0"

Hmmm, possible cause of trouble. Pick any "other" name, perhaps call
it "school" or a local word for school.

> ·         ESSID broadcast – on or off, did not make any difference

Keep it on. It will appear *much* faster on the kids 'network view'.

> ·         The DLink works to some extent attached to the Eth1 network card.
> I can see it in the XO neighbourhood view and I can connect to it on my
> Windows Vista laptop – it gives me an IP in the range as above.

Right,

> However, the XOs will not stay connected. Unlike with the active antenna,
> which they find and connect to in seconds of booting, they do not find it
> and revert to looking for XO mesh portal. If you click on the icon in
> neighbourhood view they will try to connect but the connection circle/icon
> on home view stays greyed out and then it gives up.

Change the ESSID, retry, and if it still fails to connect send us the
logfiles collected by the command olpc-netlog. See the olpc-netlog
mention in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Attaching_Sugar_Logs_to_Tickets

And we *need* to know the build numbers and the output of
olpc-netstatus for what you consider "successful" connections and
"failed" connections.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com