[Server-devel] Setting up an XS with an AP

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Tue Aug 5 16:08:10 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am now in Nauru (very small central Pacific country) starting up a single
class trial here. They have provided a machine to be used as the XS for the
pilot. They have no active antenna (AA) so we are using two network cards
and a D-Link DWL 2100 AP.

I installed the XS software and configured it for a small school server,
adding the shared roster "online" etc, and it works fine when tested using
my own prototype AA.

However, I am having problems getting it work with the AP on eth1 - can
anyone advise please. This is how I tried to set it up:

.         /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=172.18.6.1
NETMASK=255.255.254.0
BROADCAST=172.18.7.255

.         /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd

DHCPARGS=eth1

.         /etc/dhcpd.conf

at top of file:

subnet 172.18.6.0 ......
option routers  172.18.6.1
option subnet-mask 255.255.254.0
option broadcast   172.18.7.255
range 172.18.6.2  172.18.7.254

D-Link settings:

.         Mode = Access point

.         DHCP server off

.         Gets IP from DHCP server

.         ESSID - not sure what to do with that so I tried "school-mesh-0"

.         ESSID broadcast - on or off, did not make any difference

.         The DLink works to some extent attached to the Eth1 network card.
I can see it in the XO neighbourhood view and I can connect to it on my
Windows Vista laptop - it gives me an IP in the range as above.

However, the XOs will not stay connected. Unlike with the active antenna,
which they find and connect to in seconds of booting, they do not find it
and revert to looking for XO mesh portal. If you click on the icon in
neighbourhood view they will try to connect but the connection circle/icon
on home view stays greyed out and then it gives up.

Any help appreciated!

David Leeming

OLPC Coordinator, Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) www.spc.int

Technical Advisor, People First Network

P.O. Box 652, Honiara, Solomon Islands, South Pacific