[Server-devel] Constructionism is more than leaving kids on their own (was [sugar] sugar roadmap (Marten Vijn))

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Sat Apr 12 10:32:22 EDT 2008

>No really, kids i have given an XO from 3 Years open the XO faster than
>adult from 30 years. And even switch it on faster.

>When we give childeren a ball, they quite capable of exploring the
>possiblities of it. Even with evenout a handbook. They quite capable or
>create rules to play and adjust to play better.

No one is debating that kids can learn very quickly.

Marten, what you are explaining is an aspect of constructionism, not its
entirety. Piaget and Vygotsky -- the theorists that Papert based his
work on -- fundamentally focus on the need to expose children to
important ideas and then allow them to work w/ them. Kids won't invent
English grammar or calculus for instance. A teacher or guide must
introduce these concepts to kids in concrete terms they can relate to
("a narrative") and then give kids the opportunity to work w/ them on
their own terms.  Alan Kay has a great quote that supports this but I
can't remember it at this moment.

Currently OLPC suffers from a dearth of learning "narratives" for
teachers and students alike. Moodle is a good tool for this.

I get annoyed when people expect kids to figure everything out on their
own with out any help or guidance. I grew w/ learning disabilities was
able to thrive w/ the guidance of caring teachers and guides.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Systems Engineer