[Server-devel] XS server: raid 6 configuration with build 160, 161, 162 not ok

Stefan Reitz stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 00:24:15 EDT 2008

Something is fishy.

The below described symptoms can all be seen with build 160. For a little while I thought I may have been alarming everyone without properly checking possible hardware causes. I ran drive tests and one sata cable has come under suspicion of being the culprit. It turned out to be non reliable. It caused an intermittent contact problem that got previously covered up by a running (CentOS) raid 6.But replacing the sata cable and running the hdd manufacturer's utilities didn't fix it (low level format of all 4 drives. Then ran diagnostics on them. No errors).Removing just (any) one drive seems to make the install work. I am confused by the XS setup messages:After the line: Starting HAL daemon: [ok]comes: FATAL: module md not found.then come several raid6 lines - 1st one: raid6: int 32x1 738MB/s[...]last one: raid6: using algorithm sse2x2 (3511 MB/s) Raid6 without module md and with only 3 hdds?   The setup with four hdds leads to (mostly cyrillic) character soup and crashes offering an anaconda dump (see attached file). With three hdds the setup finishes (with the same confusing raid6 message lines quoted above)and df -a -h reports the following:Filesystem         Size    Used    Avail   Use% Mounted on/dev/sda2          7.9G   1.4G    6.5G   18      /proc                      0        0        0     -     /procsysfs                     0        0        0     -     /sysdevpts                   0        0        0     -     /dev/pts/dev/sda1            99M    12M     82M 13%   /boottmpfs               1014M       0  1014M   0%   /dev/shm/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00                        442G   199M   419G   1%   /librarynone                      0        0        0     -     /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc This makes me think there is no raid and only sda is being used. With module md not found this is only to be expected. But little do I know and my expectations are pretty non-consequential in this realm ;-)
The hardware provided 3 500GB hdds (actually 4, but I had to unplug one to get a set-up to finish).

What do you think is going on?
Anybody ever tried this using a different mobo / sata controller (mine is the on-board nVidia MCP61)? Stefan

> Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:54:14 -0300> From: martin.langhoff at gmail.com> To: wad at laptop.org> Subject: Re: [Server-devel] XS server: raid 6 configuration with build 160, 161, 162 not ok> CC: stefan_w_reitz at hotmail.com; server-devel at lists.laptop.org> > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:31 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:> > Thanks for warning us. There are places where the kickstart script> > explicitly> > references and formats /dev/sda. Does the device name change when soft> > RAIDed ? I can't think of any script changes from build 150 to> > build 160 that> > would explain this.> > Hmmm. I wonder if we can provide a default template for> diskdruid/gparted and allow the user to override the partitioning.> > I will look into it when I have a chance.> > cheers,> > > > martin> -- > martin.langhoff at gmail.com> martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect> - ask interesting questions> - don't get distracted with shiny stuff - working code first> - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
Windows Live Messenger: Direkter Zugriff auf Ihre E-Mails! Ohne Neuanmeldung!
http://get.live.com/de-de/messenger/overview