[Server-devel] internet gateway setup

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Thu Aug 16 14:42:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 16:28, Dan Williams wrote:
> > eth0 has no ip4 address and msh0 has a 169.254/16 ip4 address, and both
> > have ip6 addresses.
> This means that you have no detected IPv4 connectivity through the eth0
> device...

Right, I'm trying to set up the gateway :-)

But what I wonder is how the eth0 and msh0 device on the XO relate, which one
should be used (for what)?

Because, on the XS the situation is the same/very similar: (eth0 is wired
lan), eth1 and msh0 is the marvell device.

> There's a few bits to setting up a school server.  The server should NAT
> between the marvell device and it's "real" external interface,

the marvell device being eth1 or msh0 in this case?

> and run a
> DHCP server for the marvell device.  You must also "echo 1
> > /sys/class/net/msh0/anycast_mask"

on the XS?

> > and then the XOs will automatically
> notice your marvell device as a school server mesh portal.  Make sure
> the marvell device is set up on channels 1, 6, or 11, and no other
> channels.

So I can ignore eth1 on the XS?

> People here in cambridge are putting together stuff that makes this just
> work.

Cool. Do you have any pointers?

> eth0 is certainly used when connecting to an infrastructure access
> point

"At the moment I don't care" about an infrastructure access point ;-)
I have a usb version of the marvell wireless device here.. :)

regards,
	Holger