[Server-devel] internet gateway setup

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 14:56:32 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 20:42 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 14 August 2007 16:28, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > eth0 has no ip4 address and msh0 has a 169.254/16 ip4 address, and both
> > > have ip6 addresses.
> > This means that you have no detected IPv4 connectivity through the eth0
> > device...
>
> Right, I'm trying to set up the gateway :-)
>
> But what I wonder is how the eth0 and msh0 device on the XO relate, which one
> should be used (for what)?
>
> Because, on the XS the situation is the same/very similar: (eth0 is wired
> lan), eth1 and msh0 is the marvell device.
>
> > There's a few bits to setting up a school server.  The server should NAT
> > between the marvell device and it's "real" external interface,
>
> the marvell device being eth1 or msh0 in this case?

Yes; you look at mshX and find the ethX device that has the same MAC
address to determine which ethX and mshX are actually the same hardware
underneath.

> > and run a
> > DHCP server for the marvell device.  You must also "echo 1
> > > /sys/class/net/msh0/anycast_mask"
>
> on the XS?

Yes.

> > > and then the XOs will automatically
> > notice your marvell device as a school server mesh portal.  Make sure
> > the marvell device is set up on channels 1, 6, or 11, and no other
> > channels.
>
> So I can ignore eth1 on the XS?

Yes.

> > People here in cambridge are putting together stuff that makes this just
> > work.
>
> Cool. Do you have any pointers?

Um, talk to C. Scott and danjared?  They are doing quite a lot of work
and/or planning on this.

> > eth0 is certainly used when connecting to an infrastructure access
> > point
>
> "At the moment I don't care" about an infrastructure access point ;-)
> I have a usb version of the marvell wireless device here.. :)

Ok, then ignore any ethX that comes from a marvell device and you'll be
fine.  NAT + route between the mshX and the normal ethernet wired card
on the machine.

Dan