[Server-devel] internet gateway setup

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 10:28:54 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 14:53 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when running 542 the laptops have two network devices (ignoring the loopback
> device), eth0 and msh0.
>
> eth0 has no ip4 address and msh0 has a 169.254/16 ip4 address, and both have
> ip6 addresses.

This means that you have no detected IPv4 connectivity through the eth0
device, which means you are not (a) connected to an infrastructure
access point, (b) connected to a school-server mesh portal, or (c)
connected to an XO mesh portal.

> For getting ip4 connectivity at the cccamp I setup a schoolserver (with a usb
> marvel wireless device) having a 169.254 address on msh0 and bridging eth0
> (the wired card of the schoolserver) and eth1 (the wireless). Then I ran
> dhclient on the XO on eth0 and got an ip4 address and could browse the web,
> while the mesh between the XOs still worked.

There's a few bits to setting up a school server.  The server should NAT
between the marvell device and it's "real" external interface, and run a
DHCP server for the marvell device.  You must also "echo 1
> /sys/class/net/msh0/anycast_mask" and then the XOs will automatically
notice your marvell device as a school server mesh portal.  Make sure
the marvell device is set up on channels 1, 6, or 11, and no other
channels.

People here in cambridge are putting together stuff that makes this just
work.

> Is that the plan/way to go? Or is eth0 just a virtual, not to be used, device?

eth0 is certainly used when connecting to an infrastructure access
point, at which point, if the AP is on channels 1, 6, or 11, the laptops
will find that XO and use it as a mesh portal.

Dan