[OLPC Security] A mom's worries

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Fri Nov 30 16:13:21 EST 2007

On 11/29/07, James Newman <bootslack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something I think we need to consider is that Betty's letter reveals
> that we have not made a clear and convincing public statement of XO's
> security.

OK, done. See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Online_threats_and_security for my
first draft of what a general-public statement should look like.

Jameson

ps. Regarding the threat of online predators: I agree that it's overblown,
and that in general the "preventative solutions" to online stalking and the
like are worse than the problem. This does NOT mean that it's just a
bugaboo. While there may be a tiny number of genuine monsters out there,
there are plenty of creeps, and simply dismissing the issue is not a good
idea. OLPC needs more of a plan, and the best I could say in my draft
statement is still not good enough.

This list is composed of mostly computer security geeks, worrying mainly
about who can pwn the boxen. Worry a little more about the wetware.