[Repairs] Serial adapter for repair centers cost question

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri May 23 09:55:29 EDT 2008

I'm going to submit 2 additions to the spare parts list for repair centers.

1 is the cable that you use for connections to the laptop serial port.
Qty 500 I've got a quote for $.50.

The 2nd is the custom usb to serial adapter which in its current form
will cost about $35 bucks or so.  Perhaps less if we buy them in larger
quantities.

My question is that is $35 (plus markup) going to be ok for grassroots
repair centers?  They may need several depending on the size.

The unit could be made a bit cheaper if we drop the TTL-RS232 parts and
turn it into _only_ a TTL-USB adapter.  We may want to do that anyway
because it removes one of the jumper blocks and reduces complexity.

Do I need to try and find a cheaper option? (but perhaps more work for
the repair center)

Anybody know how many repair centers we are going to try and stock right
now?

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child