[Repairs] Fwd: Serial adapter for repair centers cost question

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:37:56 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Repairs] Serial adapter for repair centers cost question
To: richard at laptop.org

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
> I'm going to submit 2 additions to the spare parts list for repair centers.
>
> 1 is the cable that you use for connections to the laptop serial port.
> Qty 500 I've got a quote for $.50.

These are the 4 slot connector for J1, right?

> The 2nd is the custom usb to serial adapter which in its current form
> will cost about $35 bucks or so.  Perhaps less if we buy them in larger
> quantities.

Are these essentially the same as this:
  http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-3V3.htm

but with a 4 pin connector?

> My question is that is $35 (plus markup) going to be ok for grassroots
> repair centers?  They may need several depending on the size.

Is the D6 bricking a one-off thing, or do we expect there to be more
cases where repair centers will need to access the XO through the
serial port?

Has anyone seen an interest (from XO owners, or weekend developers) in
buying these cables for 'home' use?

Is there any thougt about  repair centers selling a kit to build one
of these from discrete components and boards? This is beginning to
sound like franchising.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com