[Peripherals] [support-gang] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Mon May 5 14:05:32 EDT 2008

Hello Mel and all the people on the peripherals list,

I have been discussing the issue of energy with other fellow on the OLPC.

I am honest and I speak directly all the time: I think the solar energy
is not a realistic posibilitie in Peru: there is 100% sunny days in the
Andes JUST 6 months in a whole year.  The worst moments are the 4 to 5
months were some villages (located over the 3,500 meters altitude) get
100% cloudy time, very cloudy, huge rainfall.  According to all the
investigation that I have done (I can send to anyone if you are
interested) the solar devices can provide from 5% to 20% IF there is not
a sunny day.  That is a BIG problem.

My best understanding, based on previous experience when I have work for
a mining company is to build a mechanical device: human driven, leg
driven.  But not a bycecle.  We have built it before but it was without
"cost" restrictions.  It is based on a spinning wheel (I have many here
at my sight).  But when I have put "cost" as a variable to take in
account then I have got the next ideas:

a) Using alternators, in Peru, is expensive.  Each alternator cost
US$300 aprox.
b) We need to import some magnets and assembly the alternator by
ourselves.  The kids on the villages can do it as part of the
"experience".  We must provide the alternators, the copper wire, the
circuit and components for the rectifier, and... the battery (battery is
other hard issue... short live... expensive).  Assembly this "home made"
alternator, connecting to the spinning wheel (that can need a double
wheel or a "pulley" chain) can be an improvement (according to the first
results that we can get).
c) Legs are the ones that will be used.  Not in a bycecle but on a
spinning wheel.  It is totally possible generate enough energy for a
regular laptor with the legs, it will be easier for the XOs.  Providing
energy for the XServers is a totally different issue, I don't agree with
the use of XServers.  I suggest that one of the XOs MUST behave as a
Server (or the whole local XO network should behave as a "shared server"
sharing processing power... but that is a bigger task).
d) Need more energy? Put bigger magnets or "more" copper wire.  Too
heavy to move? Change design: move the copper wire around the magnets.
Too heavy yet? Use concatenated pulleys.
e) Cost?: import the magnets from Korea or other asian manufacturer.

In this moment I don't have the time to develop this pilots (because I
work independently, earning bread and butter for daily living, as
anyone, and my spare time is not good enough to attack the problem in an
efficient way).  So I am passing this info to you (and I can discuss and
help more if there is someone interested in develop this prototypes).

If we don't get an asnwer for the energy problem then we will be
delivering (we ARE delivering) XOs to the towns and villages that "look"
poor in the eyes of the occidental culture but we are forgetting that in
Peru the deep poverty is located in those 80,000 villages (5 million
people) with less than 100 families in each villages, without
electricity, less than FIVE HUNDRED dollars as total ANNUAL income for
the family (with the work of the father, mother and children from 6
years old).  The goverment can not reach them (they reach JUST the 5,000
other villages that contains the rest of the peruvian population, 23
million people).  So IF we deliver XOs just to the towns that HAVE
electricity then we are keeping a "STATUS QUO" that have kept the same
since 1821 (our "independence day" from the old spaniards conquerors).
We need to be part of the solution and not be part of the problem.

We will develop this "energy" gadget (this or other one!) and then ALL
the responsible people will be more than happy to bring the XOs to those
villages.  Then we, all, be very happy.  Until then the "One Laptop Per
Children" will not be a dream.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru

(just for the record: my other two nightmares are: internet connection
without any VSAT (or paying to the telephone company)... building
something like UUCP or a UUCP revival... and content, content, content).